Every Memorial Day since I left college I get jealous of the kids who get the entire summer off to play, travel, hang out with friends and do all of the other things people do in their leisure time. But by Labor Day I realize I am the lucky one whose summer doesn’t have to end with the unofficial last day of summer. My summer can stretch until the day I wake up with frost covering the ground.
When Labor Day does roll around, however, I am forced to acknowledge that the nice, warm days left in the year are numbered. Then I start thinking about all of the things I said sometime back in May that I HAVE to do this summer and oh my god, time is running out!
Yesterday’s mention of my desire to run the Palos/SagValley trail sometime before the snow falls got me thinking of the other things I want to do. Some of them involve the travel trailer, which we fully intend to use until the snow falls. So let’s hope the snow holds off until Dec. 24 (gotta have my White Christmas) giving me plenty of time to complete my 2011 warm(ish) weather bucket list:
1. Run the Palos/Sag Valley trails.
2. Camp at Crazy Horse campground (we have a Groupon that has to be used before Nov.1).
3. Camp at Starved Rock State Park (hopefully while the leaves are doing their fall thang).
4. Have a margarita at the new Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville Cafe at Navy Pier while it’s still warm enough to sit outside.
5. Take the water taxi to the train station one day.
6. Lay on a beach, either in Chicago or somewhere else, and dip at least my toes in the water.
7. Have an informal tennis lesson with Lisa and Peter.
I’m sure there are other things I am forgetting, but this should keep me busy! Before I know it, I will be making my Christmas season bucket list!
Anyone else do seasonal bucket lists? What’s on yours?